The Village of Island Park, New York sought to reestablish economic and social vitality within the downtown corridor along Long Beach Road following damage from Superstorm Sandy.
SIMCO led the transportation tasks on this multi-disciplinary project, focusing on the areas of traffic circulation, parking, pedestrian flow, and transit along Long Beach Road and in the vicinity of the Island Park Long Island Rail Road station.
The project included data collection and observations to establish baseline conditions. In collaboration with stakeholders, SIMCO assisted with the development of streetscape and traffic calming concepts, including mid-block crosswalks, bulb outs, and diagonal parking, access to the train station, wayfinding, and roadway geometric improvements. The project required coordination with Nassau County DPW and the LIRR.
SIMCO’s tasks on the project included:
- Detailed parking survey and utilization study
- Documentation of existing conditions
- Inventory of pedestrian facilities
- Pedestrian flow and station access observations
- Conceptual design of streetscape
- Conceptual design of pedestrian facilities